Thanks for stopping by! I invite you to join me as I blog through the Bible this year to discover what it means to be a people who are "Blessed to be a Blessing".

Monday, January 11, 2010

Lesson 4 – Blessed in Our Delight

Psalm 1:1-2 (NKJV)
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.

It doesn't really surprise me that God's blessings come with conditions. For unless we agree to live according to God's will, there is simply no basis for any blessing. You could even say God's offer of grace, a blessing which is never deserved, also has its conditions, to include a requirement for a personal faith in Jesus Christ.

Here, the promise is of a blessing on the one who delights in God's word and makes it his practice to meditate upon it. This is the one whose life shuns the wisdom of the wicked, refuses the way of sinners, and flees from friendship with those who mock our God.

The psalmist goes on to liken this blessing to a tree deeply rooted in streams of waters, producing fruit in season and not shedding leafs in the heat of the sun. This pictures the security belonging to one rooted in Christ. God is our provision and we shall not be moved. The psalmist goes on to say the Lord watches over the ways of his own. He cares for those who are made righteous in Christ.

What this tells me is that the events of my life belong to God. I can trust him to sustain me in all my needs. I belong to him and live only for his pleasure. I can be assured that God's eye is upon me. This is my blessing.

While I'm familiar enough with the rest of the Bible to know that this blessing doesn't translate into a life with no problems, I can be assured my life belongs wholeheartedly to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm the pastor of Trinity Baptist Church, Baumholder Germany, serving the military community since June 1998.

The Spirit's Touch

I also invite you to look at my 2009 blog for 233 lessons on the Holy Spirit. http://www.thespiritstouch.blogspot.com/

Followers