Thanks for stopping by! I invite you to join me as I blog through the Bible this year to discover what it means to be a people who are "Blessed to be a Blessing".

Monday, February 22, 2010

Lesson 18 – Blessed with Life and Favor

Proverbs 8:33-35 (NIV)
"List to my (wisdom's) instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord."

Life and favor flow from God's wisdom, and not just in the general blessings which come to anyone who seeks to function in life according to God's ways. With God, wisdom gives life and favor to the undeserving; that being, you and I. Those who shouldn't receive life and favor find ourselves as recipients of God's love.

The Father's love never ceases to amazes me, especially when I can't come up with any concrete reason for God to give us favor and life. Simply put, I can't explain the Father's love. This is probably because it's not a love which comes naturally to any of us.

Outside of our immediate families, instead of love, we go through life seeking justice. We want fair prices. We want to be paid a fair wage. We want those things which are ours to remain ours. We want criminals to be caught and punished. We want our elected officials to have our best interests at heart. But when it comes to life and favor, we're surely relieved our Father looked beyond justice to embrace the wisdom of mercy.

And while justice for sin was served by Christ on the cross, the whole plan began with mercy. According to God's wisdom, humanity would get more than justice. We would get an undeserved second chance.

Now that's a blessing for which we should all rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm the pastor of Trinity Baptist Church, Baumholder Germany, serving the military community since June 1998.

The Spirit's Touch

I also invite you to look at my 2009 blog for 233 lessons on the Holy Spirit. http://www.thespiritstouch.blogspot.com/

Followers