Thanks for stopping by! I invite you to join me as I blog through the Bible this year to discover what it means to be a people who are "Blessed to be a Blessing".

Monday, February 22, 2010

Lesson 19 – Blessed in God’s Ways

Proverbs 8:32 (NIV)
"Now then, my sons, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways."

While the "me" in this passage refers directly to wisdom, many see wisdom as an analogy of the leadership of Jesus Christ or even the Holy Spirit. Wisdom calls for us to listen, as if wisdom has a voice, promising a blessing if we go wisdom's way.

Some have trouble with proverbs, especially when looking at specific circumstances. While this proverb promises blessing to those who keep God's ways, what about those who are close to God, following after the Lord's wisdom, only to find themselves in dire straights? What about a believer who worships God with all their heart, only to find themselves suffering from cancer at an early age?

These are difficult questions, and a ripe field from which Satan would have us question the truth of God's wisdom and even his love!

But instead of seeing a proverb's exception as proof that God's word can't be trusted, I think it better to view them as the door which opens the possibility of God's blessings. If we keep God's ways, then God is freed to bless us, if that be his will. Conversely, when we err from following after wisdom, there is no real opportunity for God to bless us.

Another way to look at any proverb is to view it as a general rule for life, even while acknowledging there are exceptions all around. Still, when we follow the wisdom of God's proverbs, we can generally expect things to turn out the way God normally ordains, and when they don't we can rejoice that God is working a new plan for our lives.

When it comes to embracing wisdom, following God's ways is the path which leads to blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm the pastor of Trinity Baptist Church, Baumholder Germany, serving the military community since June 1998.

The Spirit's Touch

I also invite you to look at my 2009 blog for 233 lessons on the Holy Spirit. http://www.thespiritstouch.blogspot.com/

Followers